On your mark! Get ready! CSPG, CSEG and CAPL will be running our annual Road Race and Fun Run this September.
The run will take place on Wednesday, September 21, 2016. Start time is 6:00pm just north of the Eau Claire YMCA. The route will take you on an out-and-back course along the beautiful Bow River pathway, finishing at the Eau Claire YMCA. Following the race all racers, volunteers and guests are invited to gather at the Calgary Curling Club, just north of Princess Island for awards, draw prizes, refreshments and some friendly camaraderie. If you are looking for a competitive race or just want to have fun, come join us!
The race is open to all members of the CSPG, CSEG and CAPL, as well as the general public. Space is limited to 200 participants so register early to avoid disappointment! There will be NO registration on race day. For more information or to register visit the CSPG Events website: www.cspg.org/cspg/events. For sponsorship opportunities please contact: Sean McLeod, 403-517.6786 (email@example.com), or Jocelyn Frankow, 403-708-6404 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
To help you, Gord Hobbins of Gord’s Running Store has developed a 10km race training guide for novice runners. Try it out and benefit from some expert advice; you may be surprised how easy it can be to gently get yourself into condition for your first race.
Gord’s 12 Week Training Guide for Novice Runners
Minutes of running per day
|Jul 5-11||-||10-15 min||-||10-15 min||-||-||15 mins|
|Jul 12-18||-||10-15 min||-||10-15 min||-||-||20 mins|
|Jul 19-25||-||10-20 min||0-10 min||10-20 min||-||-||25 mins|
|Jul 26-Aug 1||-||10-20 min||0-10 min||10-20 min||-||-||30 mins|
|Aug 2-8||-||10-20 min||0-10 min||10-20 min||0-10 min||-||25 mins|
|Aug 9-15||-||10-20 min||0-10 min||10-20 min||0-10 min||-||35 mins|
|Aug 16-22||-||15-25 min||0-10 min||15-20 min||0-10 min||-||25 mins|
|Aug 23-29||-||15-25 min||0-10 min||15-20 min||0-10 min||-||40 mins|
|Aug 30-Sep 5||-||15-25 min||0-10 min||15-25 min||0-10 min||-||25 mins|
|Sep 6-12||-||15-25 min||0-10 min||15-25 min||0-10 min||-||45 mins|
|Sep 13-19||-||20-30 min||0-10 min||15-25 min||0-10 min||-||25 mins|
|Sep 20-21||-||Rest||10 KM RUN|
Guidance/Tips: For novice runners who wish a do-it-yourself program at your leisure.
- Run for short durations between 3 and 5 times per week according to schedule, with your long run days being the key to your training program.
- If your running shoes are giving you some problems, get some which fit and match your gait.
- Guide allows for a gradual increase to a comfortable load; your legs may need some conditioning at first.
- Yes, times are in minutes. The secret is to be regular and not beat yourself up.
- Wear a hat and cool shades. Keep well hydrated. It really helps. • Gently stretch those calves and quads afterwards.
- Take along a friend and convince them to sign up for CSPG, CSEG, CAPL and the Road Race as well.
Many thanks go out to our sponsors and volunteers who make this event possible each year!
We hope to see you there!
2016 CSPG/CSEG/CAPL Road Race Committee