I am almost a year into my first term as Assistant Director of Member Services for the CSEG. I have learned of the many issues facing the society, and the need to balance funding and yet provide services for the members. The CSEG has a dual role of furthering the science of geophysics, and fostering enhanced relationships amongst its members. The new and improved format of the RECORDER is great example of added value to the geophysical community. We will try to maintain the high quality of the publication but with that comes increased publishing costs. The executive will be considering an incremental fee increase on annual memberships as one option to cover these costs, but I believe the RECORDER is well worth it. The executive has also started an initiative to provide more value for corporate members; some ideas include adding exhibit floor and icebreaker passes for management to the convention, web site links, and higher profile recognition at CSEG functions.

A new procedures and policy document for all committees is being rolled out near the end of October. Many people from various professional backgrounds and committees have input their opinions over the last year, and hopefully we have a version that is acceptable for everyone. The CSEG is mainly interested in issues of ethics, and financial accountability, and we want these functions to continue to be controlled by their own executives. I believe the relationships and industry contacts that are developed at social functions are as strong as any that exist through the boardroom. The executive of the CSEG will also be looking to add some new social functions, to provide opportunities to get together in an informal setting in Calgary. Look for some of these ideas to follow in the New Year.

The Doodle Training Week will have come and gone as this issue is mailed out, but I do hope that people continue to take time to enhance their skills through a day or two of technical training with courses in geophysics. We also need to support the research community, as without their ideas, these new technologies would not exist. As larger corporations continue to eliminate their research teams, and reduce the hiring of new graduates, it is critical that the smaller junior and midsize companies sponsor their employees to take additional education. The youth of our society will be the next generation of resource finders and they need to be mentored and provided opportunities, despite the current obsession with the bottom line and share prices.

Finally I must say a few words about Kyoto. I am sickened at the lack of good scientific information on global warming and greenhouse gasses that is presented by the media, and the lack of understanding from our Prime Minister. I do appreciate the environment and want to see pollution reduced, however, global warming has been going on since the ice age, and there are many changes in the output of the sun, as well as variations in the earth's core that influence climate.

The media also fails to mention that 95% of greenhouse gases are attributed to natural processes of the earth, and of the remaining 5%, Canada is responsible for only 0.1%.

Developing nations and the United States actually contribute 4.28 of the 5%, and they have excluded themselves from the agreement. As a membership we need to voice our opinions to our politicians and defend ourselves with scientific evidence. This agreement, if ratified, could have significant consequences on our industry and future livelihood. I don't want my future changed because a politician wants to leave his legacy on a nation.



Share This Column